nafex - [nafex] Blackberry Research

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Blackberry Research
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:36:16 -0500

Del:

I found this info on the USDA/ARS Beltsville, Md. website. ARS does
have a project underway, begun Sept. 12, 2000, and projected to end
Sept. 30, 2002, to insert cold hardy genes into a trailing blackberry
called "Marion" and several other thornless, trailing varieties. Work
on the project is taking place at the ARS lab in Corvallis, OR, however,
not at Beltsville. So this would not really be what you are talking
about, namely a blackberry that would bear on its primocanes, but it
still might help if the project is successful. ARS developed the Triple
Crown berry that I am growing here. I don't see anybody named Schwartz
involved in the project.

Keep me advised on your soil thawing prospects there, and I will send
you a Doyle as soon as you can get a spade in the ground. BTW, the
Severtson Farm website, (www.fruitsandberries.com) which sells the
Doyle, has stopped calling it Doyle and now just calls it their special
trailing blackberry. May have something to do with patent expiration.
I'm sure, however, that it's the same blackberry, because that's all
they sell. They have also lowered the price from $18 to $15 per copy,
plus air shipping of course. The website says this berry is cold hardy
at least to z3, and is grown in all 48 contiguous states. Of course
there's a big difference between N. Minnesota and S. Minnesota, which is
almost tropical by comparison. Nevertheless, if you can lay the canes
in the row and get some snow over them, you might be able to get them to
work, especially in the southern part of your property, closest to z3.

Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM