nafex - Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on : )

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kind of off topic; but sort of on : )
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:30:42 -0800

You better like growing in sand because that is Florida.
You have to mulch like hell and it disappears fast.
Tropicals are the thing to grow there.
You better like the heat and humidity too.
A love for hurricanes would be good too.
It is a great place to visit in March but i would not live there year round.
We can't stand the heat so we settled on the Oregon coast.
The heat accumulation is not high here so we have a hard time ripening a
lot of things.
We have to select the right variety.
Also the frost is not much here so some things that require a lot of low
temp. do not do well here. But we do not have to worry about shoveling snow
either.
There are not many high paying jobs here so the cost of living is low, also
no sales taxes.
Property taxes are not very high either unless you chose to live on the
water, which the assessor thinks you should pay for the priviledge of. It
is wise to select a lot a couple of blocks away from the water.
We grow apples, pears,asian pears, plums, kiwis, blackberries, blueberries,
currants and raspberries.
I weed out trees that are suscepible to bullseye, like New York 429, Elstar
and Lobo.
All berries do fantastic here. We even have some keriberries that ripen
here. Wunderful taste but are very tender, so do not pick well.
Sam