nafex - [nafex] FW: Bee Experts Provide Answers on the Internet

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: AGRISYNERGY <AGRISYNERGY@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>
  • Cc: NAFEX List <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] FW: Bee Experts Provide Answers on the Internet
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:16:02 -0800

----------
From: "ARS News Service" <isjd@ars-grin.gov>
To: "ARS News List" <ars-news@ars-grin.gov>
Subject: Bee Experts Provide Answers on the Internet
Date: Wed, Jan 2, 2002, 4:33 AM

STORY LEAD:
Bee Experts Provide Answers on the Internet

ARS News Service
Agricultural Research Service, USDA
Marcia Wood, (301) 504-1662, MarciaWood@ars.usda.gov
January 2, 2002

Got a question about honey bees? Now you can send your questions by
computer to honey bee experts at the Agricultural Research Service's Carl
Hayden Bee Research Center in Tucson, Ariz. The center's researchers, who
are international authorities on honey bees, will reply via Internet in
about 24 hours, according to entomologist Gloria DeGrandi-Hoffman.

This new Internet service, free to the public, is called, "Expert Forum on
Honey Bees." It lists a wide range of frequently asked questions, along
with answers from scientists. Examples include: "What should I do if I
find Africanized honey bees nesting on my property?", "How do I keep honey
bees out of my swimming pool?", and "How can I get started keeping bees?"
In addition, the Forum also has answers to questions about beekeeping as a
hobby or profession, crop pollination, honey bee biology and research
conducted at the center.

A special category called "Student Forum on Honey Bees" gives kindergarten
through 12th-grade students the opportunity to use pre-existing questions
as a template to help develop new questions on their own.

Users will play a key role in expanding this state-of-the-art,
user-friendly, electronic question-and-answer service, according to
DeGrandi-Hoffman. Each question answered by center experts will be kept in
a database. That way, answers to subsequent similar inquiries will be
available to anyone, anytime day or night, seven days a week. What's more,
when new information becomes available, the laboratory staff will review
and update old answers on the Forum.

"Expert Forum on Honey Bees" is part of the Hayden Center's award-winning
web site. It can be found at:
http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov

ARS is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief scientific research
agency.

This item is one of the news releases and story leads that ARS Information
distributes on weekdays to fax and e-mail subscribers. You can also get
the latest ARS news on the World Wide Web at
www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/thelatest.htm.
* Feedback and questions to ARS News Service via e-mail: Info@ars.usda.gov.
* ARS Information Staff, 5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD
20705-5128, (301) 504- 1617, fax 504-1648.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM