nafex - [nafex] Re: ultra hardy pears

  • From: "fuwafuwaosagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: ultra hardy pears
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:25:46 -0000

In reference to Rescue pear. I have attempted to grow Rescue "here"
(zone 4b/5a) for a few years on OHxF333 without success. It grows
in a manner similar to Bosc, which simply is not hardy here. Sort of
a progression of two steps forward, one step back, and then every few
years 5 steps back :)

Rescue has a very inconsistent reputation. I have heard it is
fantastic in some years, and inspid in others form the same
growers. When it is good it is supposedly very good, and when it is
bad, it is very bad, along the lines of Kieffer. Unfortunately it
does not stand up to canning nearly as well.

I am tempted to tip graft this on another tree in order to actually
get some fruit, assuming that every few year sit wil freeze out.

Wishing all of you the very best in this most blessed of holiday
seasons...may the Lord comfort you and keep you whole.

the fluffy bunny

--- In nafex@y..., Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@g...> wrote:
> Donna,
> The only thing I have on Rescue pear is from "The Harrowsmith book
of Fruit
> Trees" by Jennifer Bennett. It says: "Found growing near Vancouver,
rescued
> after its owner's death by a nursery and recently released by
Washington
> State University, this is a reliable annual bearer of early, orange-
blushed
> fruit, sometimes 6 in long, that is ready to harvest in late August
> early September on the West Coast. The fruit will store until
December. The
> trees are upright, vigorous and productive. This is Benowitz's first
> choice, and he calls it "a showstopper" (Benowitz is the owner of
Raintree
> Nursery, Morton, Washington)".
>
> I hope this may help you... Unfortunately, I don't remember having
seen
> something about it in Pomona. And there is nothing there that could
let me
> suspect it would be a hardy variety.
>
> Claude
>
> A 07:07 01.12.27 -0600, vous avez écrit :
> >I asked Bernie about the Rescue pear, and he'd never heard of it.
Do you
> >all remember that some years ago it was written up in Pomona?

Win a Capcom Console Game.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/smpz8B/fxbDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM