nafex - Re: [nafex] Cider history opinions

  • From: "Betty Mayfield" <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Cider history opinions
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:48:03 -0800

Claude,

I also had questions about the author, etc., so I deleted the end of the
URL and got back to his home page. He is Dr. David R. Williams, visiting
assistant professor of English at George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia.

His article "The Demise of Hard Cider as America's Favorite Working Class
Drink" was first posted in 1995, according to his credits.

Betty Mayfield

At 08:14 PM 12/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Tom and others,
>I had a look at this paper, but am very puzzled with it...
>
>1- This text is not designed as a Web page. There is no title, no author
>name and the whole thing looks more like a draft (mind you, a well written
>and documented draft) for a book chapter or something. Who wrote this thing
>and for what???
>
>2- What is WASP (other than a bee relative)?
>
>3- I feel the author is in error when he claims: >hard cider remains a
>>favorite draught beverage at most British pubs and is still
>>consumed in large quantities in Canada...
>I don't think cider is consumed in much larger quantity in Canada (at least
>in Quebec) than in USA. It is now regaining popularity in Quebec, in good
>part because new legislation encourage its production, but this is a new
>phenomenon and it is still quite marginal - don't ask for a glass of cider
>in a bar or a restaurant in Quebec!
>
>Claude, in Quebec
>
>A 09:29 01.12.25 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>>Hi,
>>
>>Was curious about cider and went looking to see if Bulmer's hard cider was
>>similar to what you discussed. I found this very interesting paper on why
>>cider fell out of favor in the U.S.;
>>
>>mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/cider.html

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM