nafex - Re: [nafex] blueberries/wool/mulch

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] blueberries/wool/mulch
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:17:37 -0500

Did you get flowers? No flowers suggests rabbits. Check now to see if
there are fruit buds. (They are much fatter and larger than herbaceous
buds.) If you have fruit buds in the fall and not in the spring, the
bunnies ate them. For some reason, they selectively prune the fruiting
buds, with (at least in my yard) no other visible damage. Chicken wire
or hardware cloth will keep them at bay. If you got flowers but no
fruit, the plants may not be getting enough water, or they might be over
cropping for their size and dropping all the immature fruit as a
result. (Unlikely with only 3 berries, but I had this problem on one
bush.) If you get green berries but no ripe berries, you are probably
losing them to the birds. Netting can keep out birds. Also,
blueberries are slower to mature than most bushes. If you started with
babies, they may just not be big enough yet to bear much.

I doubt wool keeps the feet dry. More likely, it keeps them moist,
which most blueberries like.

Good Luck,
Ginda

"Erdman, Jim" wrote:

> Del,
> Do you do anything to keep rabbits etc from eating the bushes in the winter?
> We never got berries until one winter when the snow covered the bushes
> completely all winter so the critters couldn't prune the bushes--they hadn't
> eaten much, apparently just the buds and new growth, so I hadn't realized
> the extent of damage in previous years. we have since gone to a cage of 1"
> chicken wire around the plants (6' tall, 5' wide, 25' long, with an old
> screen door for access) to keep animals out in winter and birds away in
> summer.
> I mulch with sawdust, wood shavings, pine needles, grass, hay, etc.
> We have 7 plants and usually freeze 20 to 30 pints and eat lots fresh.
>
> Jim Erdman, Menomonie, WI, cold edge of zone 4 in western Wis.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1_Y1qC/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM