nafex - RE: [nafex] blueberries/wool/mulch

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <erdmanj@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "'del stubbs '" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] blueberries/wool/mulch
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:07:38 -0600

Del,
Do you do anything to keep rabbits etc from eating the bushes in the winter?
We never got berries until one winter when the snow covered the bushes
completely all winter so the critters couldn't prune the bushes--they hadn't
eaten much, apparently just the buds and new growth, so I hadn't realized
the extent of damage in previous years. we have since gone to a cage of 1"
chicken wire around the plants (6' tall, 5' wide, 25' long, with an old
screen door for access) to keep animals out in winter and birds away in
summer.
I mulch with sawdust, wood shavings, pine needles, grass, hay, etc.
We have 7 plants and usually freeze 20 to 30 pints and eat lots fresh.

Jim Erdman, Menomonie, WI, cold edge of zone 4 in western Wis.