nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Irradiation of Mail & Plant Fallout

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Irradiation of Mail & Plant Fallout
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:14:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I doubt the U.S. government will release any information on this topic,
and will discourage the supplier of the equipment to either. Really
cannot blame them in that regard.

I would also bet you dollars to donuts that those that try to foil the
steralizaton with tinfoil and other sundry methods will attract the
attention of the governmnent. Cannot blame them in that regard either.

You can be sure that these machines will have meters to ensure
sterilization, and any package that has odd readings will be kicked out
for inspection.

I am sure that there will be other, new viable ways to ship living plant
material that will be government approved, albeit more expensive, which is
fine too. I am not going to lose sleep over this one.

Later,
Tom

--

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Christopher Mauchline wrote:

> Doreen,
> I've been trying to find informatin on this on the web, but have
> been unable to locate anything. Can you point me to an article?
>
> Chris Mauchline
>
> --- In nafex@y..., "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@t...> wrote:
> > Since the US Postal Service has decided to buy cobalt-gamma ray
> irradiation
> > equipment to sanitize the mail, we plant people have a big
> problem. Seeds
> > and live plants exposed to this irradiation will be altered
> genetically.
> > Several seed companies have already contacted their elected
> representatives
> > about this. What can we do as individuals? Should be we be
> worried? I am.
> > Does this mean that seeds (which are light in weight) will now have
> to be
> > sent via UPS or Fed-EX at much higher rates? How does this effect
> an
> > already struggling garden industry? Let the discussion begin.
> And, email
> > your elected representatives about your concerns.
> > Doreen Howard
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM