nafex - Re: [nafex] Irradiation of Mail & Plant Fallout

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: <gardenwriters@topica.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Irradiation of Mail & Plant Fallout
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Doreen,

It is unfortunate, but when I weigh a single death against the added
expense of moving seeds, there is no debate for me.

Unless you can offer up an idea that steralizes mail without harming seeds
I cannot get behind you.

Possibly you could inform us as to alternatives that exist to what they
propose? Without an alternative there is no forum for debate.

Possibly the postal service could set up a separate mail stream for seeds
and living material (yeast, myco fungi, etc). It of course would have to
go through some alternate inspection method and that will most likely
cost more too.

I am not happy to have to pay more for shipping seeds (if UPS doesn't
decide to do it too), but I am less happy about people losing their lives.

Let us know.

Regards,
Tom
--

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Doreen Howard wrote:

> Since the US Postal Service has decided to buy cobalt-gamma ray
> irradiation
> equipment to sanitize the mail, we plant people have a big problem.
> Seeds
> and live plants exposed to this irradiation will be altered genetically.
> Several seed companies have already contacted their elected
> representatives
> about this. What can we do as individuals? Should be we be worried? I
> am.
> Does this mean that seeds (which are light in weight) will now have to be
> sent via UPS or Fed-EX at much higher rates? How does this effect an
> already struggling garden industry? Let the discussion begin. And,
> email
> your elected representatives about your concerns.
> Doreen Howard
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM