nafex - [nafex] Deer Control / Cougars

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: Nafex@Yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Deer Control / Cougars
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 00:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

An evidence of the exploding deer population in central Alberta is the very
recent reappearance of cougars, basically extinct here since early pioneer
days. Six weeks ago a cougar was caught, darted, and removed many miles
away. The astonishing thing is the cat was chased up a tree only about 6
blocks from the downtown main business core of the city of Edmonton! About
a week ago yet another cougar was darted and transported away, this time
from near Sherwood Park, a community just east of the city of Edmonton. The
only reason the cougars are back after over 150 years is the exploding deer
population.

Apparently the population of human deer hunters has dropped below 50% of
historical norms, mostly due to Canada's tough gun legislation and
requirements of 20 hour in class courses plus written exams for new hunters
in order to get their hunting licence as well as another 20 hour course plus
exam to get a firearms permit allowing buying/owning/borrowing a gun. Most
new hunters think this 40 hours of in class lectures plus exams are just too
much of a hassle and simply pass on hunting altogether. This dramatic
reduction in hunters in return is one of the reasons the deer population is
exploding.

After experimenting with wolf scent, soap, human hair, etc., I am now fully
convinced the ONLY way to protect your trees is with an 8 ft. fence. Since
I put mine up two years ago, I haven't had any problems. Three weeks ago I
was at my orchard just west of the city, and watched with amusement 3 moose
looking lustfully and longingly at my apple trees from the other side of the
fence! If you think deer damage is bad, just wait until you see what a
moose can do. They literally eat apple branches as thick as your thumb. So
if you are having significant deer problems, don't fight it. Just fence it.
Its the only way.

Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta

FREE COLLEGE MONEY