nafex - [nafex] Pontification on Pest resistant apples

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [nafex] Pontification on Pest resistant apples
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:08:03 -0500 (CDT)

Just a few more words and I can leave the subject:

Pests of fruit can be thought of in terms of epidemics.

Epidemics are brought under control by isolating the sources of
infection.

Isolation can be achieved by removing (culling) the source and burning
or burying. Animals eating infected fruit falls into this mechanism.

Isolation can be achieved by physical isolation...either a barrier or
distance. I think the comment about birds eating insect pests in-
transit falls under this mechanism.

Isolation can be achieved through time. I believe that alternate
bearing of fruit and nut trees is an evolutionary response to pest
pressure. I can see no other evolutionary advantage.

Isolation can be achieved by reducing the reproductive efficiency of
the pest so there are fewer pests to isolate by other means. Some of
the pheramone (sp?) interuption techniques fall into this bin.

Best regard from Joe on the road without spell check.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ujOgTC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM