nafex - Re: [nafex] chinese che

  • From: claude sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] chinese che
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:50:54 -0700

> "R. Keith Etheridge" wrote:
>
> This spring I successfully grafted chinese che (female)on two 3 in
> diameter,5 ft. up,osage orange trees .At one time almost each 40 acres
> here were divided with osage orange as a hedge ,most were bulldozed
> out, but I still have a Quartermile and many as weeds in pasture and
> other non crop land.Does any one information not noted in the CRFG
> page?Hardiness? ability to fruit without male?palatability?etc.
> Keith Etheridge DVM
> Lower zone 5

Some seedlings will generally produce either male or female flowering
plants, but some plants do produce a perfect flowers.

Pollination is required, but plant's perfect flowers will self
pollinate, producing a smaller fruit.

Fruit quality is quite variable. I have not tasted any worthy of eating
out of hand, but they make an attractive garnish. The fruit could also
be used as a natural red dye.

I do not recall anyone writing about grafting it to osage orange
rootstock. Interesting.

My only experience was with a grower in Valley Center, California who
was attempting to promote the fruit commercially; but it did not catch
on. The limited market window of fruit availability does not make it
easy to promote.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Small business owners...