nafex - [nafex] Re: parafilm results

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: parafilm results
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:32:49 EDT

For me at least I cannot pull the Parafilm tight enough to get an adequate
pressure on the scion. I agree with you Ginda that the budding "rubbers"
must be covered. As to budding - the owner of a nursery in the next county
told me that t-buds do not need covered, but that chip buds must be

My preferred grafting materials:
Regular wide rubber bands
1/2inch green plastic "tape" from my Max Tapener
Electrician tape (to tape Max Tapener tape)

Adequate replacements:
budding rubbers for rubber bands (for me the budding rubbers aren't as strong
as the rubber bands so I can't pull it quite as tight).
Parafilm for "Max Tapener" tape. I still end up using electrician tape to
keep the parafilm on.

I wrap the grafts with the rubber bands and then cover the grafts with the
green tape (ideally getting a water tight covering). To hold the green tape
on I tape back over itself w/ electrician tape.

I like to remove the grafting materials (if I'm sure its healed) in late July
- early August. My problem with parafilm is that then I have trouble getting
it off.

Problem with my grafting this year:
Some of my grafts (Cherry) where done in February. In the cold weather the
electrician tape did not hold.

I was attempting to do some more unusual grafts this year. My preliminary
results:

(All whip and tongue unless otherwise noted)
Cherry (all double grafts - sweet cherry to wild and weeping on sweet): 0
for 4

Apple: 6 for 6

Pear: 1 for 3 (but I had rootstock problems w/ at
least one of the failures)

Medlar on Pear: 0 for 1

Peach: 1 for 6 (results still preliminary)
0 for 2 (spring chip bud)

Apricot: 1 for 3 (results still preliminary) (I was top
working a rootstock so all 3 are on same trunk)

Persimmon: Too soon to tell but for now, 0 for 4

Pawpaw: Too soon to tell but for now 0 for 7

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

Ginda Fisher wrote:
<<<
I think budding rubbers do not protect the scion adequately without an
outer wrapper. Last year I did dozens of grafts. Some with just
budding rubbers, some rubber covered with masking tape, some rubber
covered with grafting wax, and some just masking tape. I had better
than 90% take on all the grafts EXCEPT the budding rubber only ones.
Every one of these grafts dried up and died.

Bud grafting may need less protection that tongue & whip type grafting.
I haven't tried that yet.