nafex - [nafex] FW: [Organic-l] Re: [kitchengardens] sea buckthorn

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] FW: [Organic-l] Re: [kitchengardens] sea buckthorn
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:56:17 -0800

----------
From: "graham" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
To: <kitchengardens@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Organic-l] Re: [kitchengardens] sea buckthorn
Date: Thu, Mar 1, 2001, 4:50 PM

I would venture to say that sea buckthorn sounds like the ideal plant for
your situation, and that HWT is being overly cautious- I planted a hedge of
sea buckthorn where I used to work
http://www.lodgehome.freeserve.co.uk/page6.html (similar conditions to what
you describe- planted at Shoeburyness on the Essex coast, probably not more
than about 6 or 7 hundred yards from the mouth of the Thames onto the open
sea where it gets pretty blowy and bitterly cold), and although slightly
slow to get going it has thrived. It's a plant very suitable for maritime
conditions. It's suckering habit is a bonus in the situation you describe
(creates a thicker, more inpenetrable hedge), but isn't so rampant as to
present a pest, at least in my experience (suckers didn't seem to spread,
but were mainly around the base of the hedge- there's also specimens that
I've observed growing in local (Southend) parks + in North London in
municipal plantings (housing estates, etc) where some are growing (no doubt
trained) as 'standard' forms, no evidence of nuisance suckering that I've
seen))... S.B. is a good wildlife plant, it's red or orange berries are an
excelent source of food for birds, and can also be utilised by humans, being
rich in vitamins A, C & E, although it is very sharp to the palate (cook
them with something sweeter). it is also a nitrogen fixer. Lots more info
can be found from Plants For A future at
http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/pfaf/arr_html?Hippophae+rhamnoides

Have forwarded this post to the permaculture & organic L email lists in case
anybody there has other info that is pertinent

Cheers,

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea