nafex - [nafex] Rabbits

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Rabbits
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 12:09:54 -0500

Hi All,

I noticed something in the habits of a rabbit that passes
through my back yard almost nightly.

1) It usually follows the same route.
2) If there is a path in the snow, the rabbit sticks to
the path

I only noticed this, as this season it is snowing most every
other day, and I can observe the rabbit tracks in the
morning.

With these observations, I used my snow blower to make a
path through the snow that bypasses my fruit trees and berry
bushes. I started the path where the rabbit usually enters,
and ended it where it usually exits my backyard.

With a snow cover of about 18 inches right now, my path
makes a shoot that directs the rabbits through and away from
my seedlings, currants, and grapes..

Does anyone know for sure if rabbits do indeed follow the
same nightly foraging route?

This technique is working for me so far, but it will only
work as long as the snow is deep enough.

Just finished my calculations to see if the dog will survive
chocolate poisoning (hopefully, not a yearly ritual with
small kids). There is a formula if anyone needs to
calculate it.

Oh yes... The dog will live to chase rabbits another day.
I am keeping my fingers crossed on the vomiting and diarrhea
though. 8^)

Merry Christmas,

Tom
--