nafex - [nafex] Re: cider varieties in Virginia

  • From: "Nell Lancaster" <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: cider varieties in Virginia
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 11:42:28 -0500

Ken Harnad <harnad@intelos.net> asked about cider apples for the Shenandoah
Valley. Ken, I'm not qualified to say what varieties do well in our area,
but if I were planting apples for cider I'd surely include Golden Russet.
I tasted it at an antique apple event put on by Tom Burford, and it was
outstanding. It's primarily used for cider, I understand, but great eating
too.

>From what I can decipher of the notes I took that day, Burford said that
Golden Russet does well in this climate but that it's susceptible to deer
browsing because the buds are so sweet. So I guess you need to get your
fencing up while you're researching! <g>

Regards,

Nell
Nell Lancaster, Lexington VA <nlancaster@rockbridge.net>

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/0/_/423498/_/977762880/

  • [nafex] Re: cider varieties in Virginia, Nell Lancaster, 12/25/2000