nafex - RE: [nafex] Re: Are your plants working for you? AKA, Ruthless culling

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Re: Are your plants working for you? AKA, Ruthless culling
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:51:25 -0600

>===== Original Message From nafex@egroups.com =====
>The "Apples of New York" just raved about an old apple named "Swaar". It
>was supposed to stay on the tree long and be very good eating. I grew it
>and found it the most unappetizing apple I ever grew. It stayed on the tree
>a long time because I don't believe the birds would even eat it. It might
>of done well in the Hudson River Valley but in SW Iowa it was a real dud.

Swede,
"Swaar" *may* do better in the South - there's one nursery I'm familiar with
in GA that offers it, though I will say that they're pushing it as a variety
to plant out on hunting properties as a wildlife(deer) foodsource, primarily
due to the fact that it hangs on the tree well into the winter.
I'd wanted to try it for that purpose, at one point in time; and may still
attempt grafting one, if I can locate some scionwood.

Lucky Pittman

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/978212094/