nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple - Dwarfing Rootstocks

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple - Dwarfing Rootstocks
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:05:54 -0800

Tom,

Some varieties do grow fairly true from seed and Alexander is another one.
I think Duchess of Oldenburg also comes true from seed and this has been used
as a
hardy rootstock (? Antonovka), not a dwarf rootstock.

The dwarfing rootstocks do have apples but M9, M27, P22, M 26 have small,
bitter
apples (in my experience).

Derry,

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
:
: In the past I asked how true apples were to seed. The answer I got was a
: resounding "Extremely little to none" from the list. Then I stumbled across
: the Snow (Fameuse) which is reputed to "tendency to reproduce tree from
: seed" by the GRIN database.
:
: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/search.pl?snow
:
: We happen to have an old Snow in the orchard, which is very to close to
: Famuse in characteristics. It was in looking up this tree I found this
: interesting seed fact.
:
: After stating these counterpoints, I am curious to ask if all dwarfing apple
: rootstocks are clonaly grown, or are there any that have a tendency to
: reproduce dwarfing seedlings from seed?
:
: I figure there is no harm in asking, but since dwarfing rootsock never gets
: to have fruit of their own, that little would be known in this field. Maybe
: lightening will strike twice and I will find something else after the list
: reponds. 8^)
:
: : Regards,
: Tom