nafex - [nafex] Online vs. Print & Plum Pox

  • From: prcenter@webtv.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com, gaucho@hcr.net
  • Subject: [nafex] Online vs. Print & Plum Pox
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 03:44:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I have recently re-joined NAFEX. I was a member for a brief period back
in the 80's.

I have been reading the online computer e-mail list for a short while
now. And would like to comment on some of the things I found there.

>From what I have read about the strain of "Plum Pox" in the US
(Pennsylvania) It is NOT spread by either seed or pollen. It IS spread
by aphids and grafting. It is also NOT very easily spread by aphids. It
is considered... quote: a "NON-EPIDEMIC" strain of the virus.

Online Reference: http://www.scisoc.org/feature/PlumPox/Top.html

Regarding the Online vs. Print debate.
A point to remember, perhaps, is that NOT EVERY MEMBER OF NAFEX HAS A
COMPUTER!

I think that the Print version of POMONA has always been the backbone of
NAFEX. I would very much like to see an ONLINE version of POMONA as well
as back issues ONLINE. That would be easily SEARCHABLE.

Years ago I had a stack of POMONA loaned to me by a friend who had been
a member for years and years. I found them to be incredibly valuable
reference material. I poured over them constantly and learned a great
deal.

I had previously read books on grafting but they were like carpentry
diagrams on how to join wood together in different ways but not how to
obtain grafting material and make the graft actually work with living
plant tissue. After researching POMONA and the first hand experiences it
contained about what really works and what doesn't I was able to take
cuttings at the proper time, store them properly, find ACTUAL currently
available grafting supply sources and scion and rootstock sources...
even make my own grafting strips from cut up bicycle inner tubes and mix
up my own grafting wax... I found information on the most favorable
time to graft FOR MY AREA... obtain scions of varieties suitable to my
area... and actually make it work!

Much of this information is simply unavailable in most books on the
subject.

If someone wants to put a course online as suggested on the e-list... I
really can't think of anything better than searchable back issues of
POMONA where you could enter the word "grafting" or any other subject
you might be interested in and get all the previous articles and
references about it instantly.

If someone wants to write some NEW educational material... I would first
see if it hasn't already appeared in a back issue of POMONA... then if
it is needed Write the article for BOTH the PRINT version as well as an
ONLINE version... so that EVERYONE... (including members without
internet access or a computer) can enjoy it... the ONLINE version could
be simply a mirror of the print or it could include all the interactive
possibilities, links, etc.

When the article appears in the print version of POMONA... It could say
something like: "see the Online version of this article at:
http://www.angelfire.com/graft/index.html"; (not an actual website yet
but it is not difficult to put up a free website anywhere on the
internet and publish a link to it)

You could write the article/lesson on a computer, even at the library...
upload it to a free website hosting service... AND submit it to POMONA
(print version) then EVERYONE will be able to read and comment on it.

I am all for computers and the internet... but lets try to keep ALL
NAFEX members in mind.

Membership in NAFEX does not automatically include a computer and
internet access.

Tom

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/975746667/