nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple Question

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple Question
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:01:42 +0000

McIntosh is assumed to be a daughter of Snow, but then not too much DNA
testing was being done back in the 1790s.

Cortland and Empire are half-sibs, both out of the Geneva breeding program.
Cortland = McIntosh x Ben Davis, intoduced 85 years ago.
Empire = McIntosh x Delicious, named in 1966.

Others with McIntosh bloodline:
Fireside = McIntosh x Longfield, from U.Minn. 1943
Fortune = Scoharie Spy x Empire, introduced in 1995.
Honeycrisp = Macoun x Honeygold, U.Minn. 1991
Jonamac = McIntosh x Jonathan, Geneva 1972
Liberty = Macoun x PRI 54-12, Geneva 1978
Macoun = McIntosh x Jerseyblack, Geneva 1923
Northern Lights = Haralson x McIntosh, Geneva 1990
Nova EasyGro = Spartan x PRI 1565, Nova Scotia station 1971
Spartan = McIntosh x Newtown Pippin, Summerland station 1936
Spencer = McIntosh x Golden Delicious, Summerland Station

All in all, the old Snow apple has been busy these last 200 years!!

Jim Cummins
CUMMINS NURSERY
Geneva

fluffy bunny wrote:

> Gang:
>
> I am preping for my "Apple Tasting(basically a promo for NAFEX).
>
> I seem to have lost my notes. Can anyone give me the "Snow/mac" lineage.
> If I recall correctly it goes something like:
>
> Snow-->Macintosh--->Cortland-->Empire??? and several others in
> between.
>
> Can anyone help me out with parentage and the like?
>
> Thanking you in advance for any consideration you give this matter,
>
> the fluffy one
> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL. For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9533/15/_/423498/_/970659754/