nafex - Re: [nafex] Overwintering tender fruits

  • From: "Helga and Bert Dunn" <helbert@idirect.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Overwintering tender fruits
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:31:58 -0400

Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6348/15/_/423498/_/969792819/

Hi Doreen
I have no education in this subject- just fly by the seat of my pants.
Your peach may do OK when small (inside overwinter) however the ultimate
height is going to be a problem- how does one get a 12' tree into your
bedroom.
Our Key lime tree overwinters very nicely in our family room (had 2 Key lime
pies last January) at about 71'F.
We have 2 species of banana, a nespoli, 2 var of passionfruit & vrs of
guavas- all potted. They overwinter in an unused portion of our home at
about 50/55"F with poor light. Water very sparingly with 50/55'F water, no
fertilizer. Remove any foliage which goes completely brown. Expect a fair
amt of leaf drop when you first bring them inside.
I don't expect fruit from nespoli or bananas, have had guavas & passionfruit
(but not much). Have had figs for +10 yrs balance over 4/5 winters- and its
cold here!
Cheers Bert

Bert Dunn RR4 Tottenham Ont zone 4b
HARDY GRAPES-NO PURE VINIFERA