nafex - Re: [nafex] germinating seeds

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] germinating seeds
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:58:58 -0700

No, because elderberry has a double stratification requirement. If I
remember right, it has to be cold, then warm, then another cold shot before
it will germinate. I germinated a bunch of different elderberries for the
National Clonal Germplasm Repository one time and still have the records
somewhere.
-Lon
----------
>From: Carolyn Wood <natvwine@cut.net>
>To: nafex chat <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] germinating seeds
>Date: Wed, Aug 23, 2000, 6:38 PM
>

>Lon, thanks for such detailed directions.
>
>Could I also use the same technique for germinating Blue Elderberry?
>
>>From Lon- Clean the seed by blending the berries in a blender and add
>more water to float off the debris. Spread the seed on paper to dry.
>The seed can be sown with no stratification. Prepare a flat or pot and
>firm the soil down. Put on thin layer of peat, moisten and tamp it
>smooth. Sprinkle the seed over it and "dust" it with more peat, and
>mist the peat. Cover the flat/pot with glass or plastic to hold
>humidity and keep it around 70 F. The seedlings are so tiny when they
>come up you won't see anything but a greening of the surface of the
>soil, as though there was algae on it. Look with a magnifying glass to
>see the little seed leaves. Water with something gentle, use dilute
>liquid fish. When the seedlings have their second to third true leaves
>you can begin carefully pricking them out with toothpick and pot them up
>individually. If you can, use a little soil from an established plant
>in the mix to insure that the seedlings get the mycorrhizal fungi that
>associates with the roots - the little plants need it.

Hate housework?...then WIN A MAID....
http://click.egroups.com/1/7009/0/_/423498/_/967090185/

  • [nafex] germinating seeds, Carolyn Wood, 08/23/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] germinating seeds, Lon J. Rombough, 08/24/2000