nafex - Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting Timing

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bud Grafting Timing
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:54:49 -0700

I'd suggest learning to chip bud. That way, you don't have to worry if the
bark is slipping and you have a longer window of opportunity. As long as
the plant is still active, a chip bud will usually heal in. Here, watering
the plants well before budding is usually enough to stimulate them to heal
the buds in well.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Bud Grafting Timing
>Date: Sat, Jul 29, 2000, 7:50 AM
>

>Hello All,
>
>I have a question regarding the opportune time to bud graft.
>
>According to the hardiness zone map of Ontario, I am in zone
>6a. According to what I have read about bud grafting it
>should be done when the bark slips easily, which is usually
>late July, into August.
>
>With our very wet spring, and very cool/wet summer that
>followed, will the period of optimum "bark slipping" be
>pushed off due to the cool nights? Should I wait longer or
>go ahead?
>
>Possibly someone could review how to determine if the bark
>is slipping enough to bud graft for a rookie.
>
>It may be a dumb question, but I have never bud grafted
>before.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Canada
>Hardiness Zone 6a

NeoPlanet - Your Do-It-Yourself Browser! Download Free Now!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7679/0/_/423498/_/964882195/