nafex - [nafex] Re: Safety Concern/Warning for anyone who re-fuels their vehicle...

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Safety Concern/Warning for anyone who re-fuels their vehicle...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:43:58 -0000

As far as I am aware (just glanced at the urban legend site) all the
"HIV" needle stories (in pay phones, movie seats, and now gas pumps)
have been hoaxes.

Victoria, I do agree with you that if you come across information
that would help/save lives it is good to distribute, but in my
opinion any "mass" warning received via e-mail should be viewed with
a jaundiced eye and an attempt to take a few minutes to verify it via
one of the urban legend sites before it is redistributed. The
majority of these "WARNING" or "HELP" mass mailings are either false,
or outdated (i.e. yes a child had disappeared and the mother sent out
a desperate plea - but the child was found the next day and the e-
mail is still circulating years later (and many times the details of
the messages have mutated)). "CODE ADAM" doesn't exist. Craig
Shergold survived and doesn't want any mailings of any kind (he's in
college or graduated or something).

Two sites I use to verify mailings I've received:
(this is my favorite)
http://urbanlegends.about.com/science/urbanlegends/
and
http://www.snopes.com

(Now getting off soapbox...)

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "Gordon C. Nofs" <gcnofs@h...> wrote:
> If you have not heard: Do not stick your fingers into any coin
return
> slots of pop machines, phones, candy machies etc. They have all
been on the
> list.
> Gordon
> Thank you, Victoria....
>
> Was only trying to help any of us in the hopes, (had it been true)
may
> have prevented any of us from grief and angst.
> Fortunately I am now relieved that it was a hoax and I have been
proven
> quite fallible.
>
> Again, to anyone in the group. If you were caused any inconvenience
you
> have me deepest apologies.
> My only fear is that someone now, may not come forward with
important
> news
> that may save a life for fear of reprisals.
>
> Hoping we can put this one to bed.
> Yet again, you have my apologies...
> Best wishes,
> John
>
> "victoria l. caron" wrote:
> >
> > You know, I think anytime a news piece like this needs to reach
> > everyone, there is no such thing as too late or overkill. We all
have
> > busy lives and may have missed an important news item at any
> > particular time. If only one person saw it here, unrelated to the
> > group matter as it is, and it made a difference, then it was
worth it.
> > On the subject of HIV infected needles, there was something
again just
> > recently warning about them ANYWHERE in public places where they
could
> > be sat on, grabbed, etc.. Thanks for the thoughtfulness
> > John............Victoria
> >

> > "J. Rosano II" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Gordon!
> > >
> > > Can assure you and the list this will never happen again at
least
> > > from
> > > this E-Mail address.
> > > Sorry for the inconvenience this or any of my posts may have
caused.

> > > Best wishes,
> > > John

> > > There

drives.

Florida
> > > Police
authorities to
of
a very

> > > the
> > > infected
> > > have
over
the
> > > past

various
states

> > > arrested

have
tested
> > > others

and
when
infected
needle.
gas
pump
INCLUDING
UNDER THE

evidence.

AND BY
PEOPLE
WHO
> > > KNOW

-------

-------

----

> > > Redecorating your house, but can't see to come up with the
money?
> > > Rate businesses in your area to win $5,000. HURRY--CONTEST
ENDS 6/30