msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Airscent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Richard Lynch <cavalrycpt@hailstorm.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Airscent training
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:52:01 -0400

Excuse me, you do need to re-enforce the horse when he makes a find.  It would be ignorant not to do so.  This is exactly how the K-9 handlers do it and Terry Nowacki is also a dog trainer.  Maybe you are forgetting that the rider in some cases has been so accustomed to being in charge that they do not let the horse do what is natural.  I can guarantee you that a horse (unless deaf and cannot smell-which means they can't breath, since they are nasal breathers) will never ignore a threat.  I assume that you have not read Terry's book.

Dick