msar-riders - [MSAR] Greeting from Ontario, Canada

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Greeting from Ontario, Canada
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 14:47:33 -0600

The following is from an MSAR-Riders subscriber. Because he attached a
very high resolution photo, 8 megabytes, his post was held by the listadmin
software for review. I am attaching a lower resolution coopy of his photo.

Una

My name is Ray Elliston, and I am the president of Rideau SAR team located
just west of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. We have established a fledgling MSAR
team as a component part of the Rideau SAR team. The mounted element
consists of seven horse/rider teams after our first year. All riders are
certified in accordance with standards established by the Ontario Provincial
Police (OPP) and the Ontario Search and Rescue Volunteer Association
(OSARVA). We have been following your discussions on various aspects of
mounted SAR. Since this is the first, and only, volunteer MSAR team in
Ontario we have been leaning very heavily on various MSAR organizations in
the USA in developing training standards and techniques for MSAR. We have
adopted surveyors vests as our standard outer garment because they have
numerous pockets in which to carry the many items necessary for both
operations and simple survival. All of the 10 Essential items listed fit
handily in the vest or on a duty belt, including map, compass, radio, GPS,
watch, whistle, fire starter, MRE, water, basic first aid items, surgical
gloves, various sized ziploc bags, etc. I'm not sure whether the photo will
work on your site. I hope you don't mind me interjecting.

  • [MSAR] Greeting from Ontario, Canada, Una Smith, 06/06/2013