msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] IRS deductions (USA only)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] IRS deductions (USA only)
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 06:58:41 -0600

Yes, many (c)(4) organizations are not charitable, meaning donations
to them cannot be claimed as deductions on federal income tax, but this
is not true for all organizations in (c)(4). Some are charitable and
donations to them, including expenses, can be deducted.

For what it's worth I did claim deductions for SAR and other charitable
expenses incurred with our MSAR team when it was still a (c)(4) and
this did not trigger an IRS audit.

Una