msar-riders - [MSAR] IRS deductions (USA only)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] IRS deductions (USA only)
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:54:59 -0600

In another thread, ALLEN SNYDER (Dana) wrote:
>Do you submit your expenses (feed, board, vet, tack etc.) to the IRS
>yearly for each horse used in community service?

I never have deducted expenses for the horse per se. My horse has never
been used principally for SAR, and at most I would have had to pro-rate
all the expenses, which involves more record keeping than I have wanted
to bother with. My actual horse keeping costs are low, maybe $2000 per
horse per year. I have thought about it, though. Some SAR dog handlers
do deduct all dog expenses, including purchase price and training fees,
and a highly trained SAR dog can be significantly more expensive than a
typical SAR horse.

I do deduct expenses relating to the truck and trailer. I deduct cost
of repairs for damage incurred during SAR missions, purchase and install
cost of the 2-way radio and the extra battery to run the radio and other
electronics, etc. I am considering pro-rating the full cost of keeping
and operating the truck, incuding depreciation. Most of the miles I put
on the truck are for charitable use in SAR and other activities.

>It is my understanding that each horse can qualify for up to $3,500
>in deductions.

How is that?

Una