msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Financial interests disclosure

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Financial interests disclosure
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 20:13:35 -0400

Very few ever get even expenses back in the volunteer community. New Mexico
and Colorado have or had a state fund to reimburse volunteer teams through a
surcharge on hunting licenses or recreational fees. In the federal world the
park personnel, and military get paid but still have to live within a budget
that is being sequestered all the time.
Pennsylvania pays state DCNR exempt managers for the first 40 hours, and
allows use of state vehicles, but there is no overtime. If you are an
accredited state fire or EMS instructor you can get paid a nominal sum for
teaching, but not within your own organization. Current IRS conflict of
interest rules effectively bar any volunteer from using his connection to a
501c3 organization for personal or family benefit. You do get to deduct
expenses if the organization is recognized as a 501c3 (not just acts like
one). Pennsylvania also recognizes all search animals as police animals and
emergency responders as essential personnel eligible for PSODB, and
municipal workmen's comp.

We usually figure that keeping a search horse costs around $6000 per year in
our area. This would include feed and barn costs (or board), farrier, vet,
shots, tack, PPE (PA is not an OSHA state so you pay for your own protective
gear), travel to training, meetings, fundraising, and prevention activities.
Add on a portion of your trailer and tow vehicle expenses (registration,
repairs, fuel, insurance, storage) and it is easy to see how the expenses
mount up.

SEPASAR is a recognized provider of Red Cross courses so our members save a
few bucks there. As an emergency responder recognized by the Task Force we
get free dispatch services, use of the county radio system (but not radios),
field command trucks, the MRT, the IMT, Haz Mat units with showers and
rehab, canteens, etc. We don't get any money however. Our members can attend
any course offered at 5 regional fire training sites or by the Task Force,
courses are free or nominal cost and usually include lunch and books, but
not mileage or time.

Personally, I was employed by defense contractors designing and implementing
C4I systems from circa 1980
to late 2003. Since then I have volunteered for the Red Cross, my fire
company, and other organizations.
Although I am a PA Local Level instructor I rarely teach on the fire academy
payroll. I will teach for expenses if asked and I can conduct NFPA 1720
reviews of responder organization effectiveness. Between now and January,
2014, I will be working with the township fire marshal to improve the ISO
rating, without fee. A CV is available on request.