msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Texas wildfires

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Texas wildfires
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:54:33 -0400

How did those 43 head get to the evacuation center in the first place? And
how where they getting home? Somebody hauled them in and somebody was going
to haul them out weren't they?
Your evacuation plan has to have a return leg. Even if you are shuttling the
last stop for the trailers should be the evacuation center just in case of a
veterinary emergency requires moving them again.

Admittedly, in our area there are more horses than trailers (lots more
horses than private trailers) but there are also commercial stock haulers
and rental trucks/tractors. Right now we are preparing for flash floods.
Another 4 inches of rain is due in the next 12 hours after the water just
went down from the 12 inches the hurricane dropped on us. The danger should
pass in 24 to 48 hours. Unfortunately, we don't always get several days
notice to evacuate and often have to shelter in place. And we are still
officially in a drought.

If we evacuate we have to go to a public park and camp out, hoping the hill
is high enough, and the highway department dumped enough snow fence for
paddock fences. That is the disaster plan by the way--turn park meadows into
paddocks about 1 acre square and put one trailer load in each using orange
plastic fence. Two sites have wells and are used as equestrienne
trailheads, another pair have no water but drain well and have decent road
access. We have also looked at several large trailhead parking lots as
possibilities but breaking the asphalt for posts really upsets the parks
people.

Irv Lichtenstein