msar-riders - [MSAR] Texas wildfires

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Texas wildfires
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:16:54 -0600

I am in New Mexico, hundreds of miles away from any of these fires in
Texas. Last night I got a call from a local friend of a friend, asking
to borrow my trailer immediately to take to Texas to collect a horse.
While I am very sympathetic to the plight of horses and people facing
these fires, and this person's intentions are good, I cannot in good
conscience enable an unplanned long distance emergency response by a
spontaneous volunteer. The risk profile is unacceptable.

Wildfire can occur almost anywhere there is vegetation, and there are
other types of natural disasters. Everyone, please, make an evacuation
plan. Write it down. Work out the details. Take some simple actions
now to improve your ability to carry out your plan, should you need to
do it.