msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Team callout method

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Team callout method
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:46:32 -0600

On reading other replies to Bob Boddy's question, I suspect Marie and
Irv gave answers more to the point of Bob's question. Also, I want
to clarify that pagers are still in use in my local community because
so many people here are not allowed to take cell phones to their work
place.

New Mexico also is a little peculiar in that call-outs begin with NM
State Police. A state police officer initiates a mission by calling
a civilian volunteer. Via chain of command downward, an incident
commander is activated, and the incident commander then either calls
a logistics section chief to select and call team resources, or does
this task him/herself. Once contact, the team handles its internal
callout in some manner. With so many layers between the agency having
jurisdiction and the ~80 teams in the state, few teams enjoy alerting
services of their county EMS or sheriff.