msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Team callout method

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Team callout method
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:42:10 -0400

We use alphanumeric paging from the county dispatch center (free service, they supplied the pagers).  We can also use Ready Notify which is a free service that sends out text messages to e-mails, phones, faxes, etc. at no cost but all our members have not signed up for that yet.  The state SAR council has an account with One Call but we don’t use it yet so I have no idea what the shared charge is.

There are two other systems in use, the Red Cross uses one similar to One Call but it is two calls—the first asks if you can respond and requests a touch tone, the second is a live person telling you what the assignment is.  Since they only run small teams out to most disasters they are choosing 2-4 persons from a list of around a hundred.

There is a system called I Am Responding where responders, alerted by pager, siren, etc. call a toll free number and enter a Touch Tone code (1-9, default is 1). This enters your status on a web page so people at the station or command post can identify who is enroute (1), not coming, cancelled, etc. This is a 3 year contract and based on volume with a several hundred dollar minimum.  You also must supply a PC, and an Internet Connection, local printer optional.

There are also several out-call systems available, such as Reverse 9-1-1, which can be locally based or a service based on usage.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR