msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] electrolytes

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David leadbetter" <dleadbetter1@aapt.net.au>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] electrolytes
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:31:05 +0800

Sometimes it pays to be a bit of a detective doesnt it?
A few years ago my mare was having bouts of intermittent colic,on her second tubing..there it was, a citrus smell.Needless to say she did not ever go back in the orchard.
When our section is out ,training or ops we always have molasses on hand to add to water.I have electrolyte paste on hand but have never had to use it.
If I know a day is going to be over about 35 degrees and its training I wimp out...to b----y hot for me never mind my horse.Operations of course one must suck it up and do the job.
If it was over about 38 [100] we would probably only do half a day per team.

cheers

Linda L
perth WA [SES Mounted section]