msar-riders - [MSAR] Electrolytes

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Electrolytes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

RESPONDING TO:
Message: 3
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:08:14 -0400
From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] ELECTROLYTES both horse and human....For public
    safety?    HUH?
To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Dear Karen,

Please do not take my comments out of contents, as they were intended to
stem discussion about the routine use of electrolytes and to identify what
MSAR teams have in their standards regarding the topic.  I realize that you
are a self-deploying mounted searcher and may have limited knowledge of what
is actually required of deployable and credentialed SAR and MSAR responders,
so please note that in many regions of the USA, registered or validated MSAR
equines are considered (by law, statue or regulation) public safety working
animals.   While I respect your misguided opinion to advise me of becoming
more educated and to question my knowledge base, I would be happy to match
SAR/MSAR/EMS related human and equine health certifications, deployment
experience, teaching credentials, as well as the number of coursework and
CEU credit hours that I obtain yearly, with you off list.

T'mi
-------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>

Pardon me, neighbor, but I was not taking your comments out of context.

I was addressing them as they stood in a paragraph that can misdirect a lot of people.  You opened a discussion ON ELECTROLYTES... when you say for  "routine use" when it comes to electrolytes I fail to see it as a question of routine use be it an endurance mount, pole bender or as you refered to the mounts as public service mounts.  Their title or position is moot.  The use of electrolytes is an individual matter based on the individual beings need, use, loss there of and replacement needs required.  Be the being an equine or human or whatever.

I find it funny how so many horseman are concerned about electrolytes in summer but fail to see their use in winter when in winter they are equally important and from day to day too.  And as is water intake.

If your team is relying on water intake (alone) though for their horses hydration.. your horses could run into  big problems.  I repeat as I commented to you in comments made earlyier, horses that are dehydrated will not drink water.  So if the horse will not drink water, what are you going to do?  I stand by my comments to become more educated.  And you dont have to just be high activity to become dehydrated.  Dehyration can stem from  many many problems.

You are not talking machines here, you are talking about living beings.  And a-hem, isnt this what its all about is LIVES.

What else was it t'mi said... um, and I qoute:

 (the safety of rider and horse always come first).

Well it (safety)  cannot come first if it is not individually addressed.
Im not going to address this issue off list and make this a game of holyier than thou because so and so is a "credited" or I am just a  volunteer or viceversa.  Credentials and degrees and a BS in such and so mean absolutely nothing if you simply do not know.

While you may be part of a team that is regularly deployed under certain standards and a pile of credentials in another heap, I stand by my comments too, that if you hold such credentials and you still do not know something, then something is wrong and you need to continue learning.  And this is not directed at just you personally T'mi.  It is after all an open forum open to all.

And so pardon me, again neighbor,  for stepping on some acredited persons toes, but I have seen pros make big mistakes.  And I have seen some little guys like myself stand up and correct them.  AND vice versa.  Mistakes are not limited to just volunteers.

I was not taking anything out of context, I was addressing an issue.  Well, several issues, as a matter of  fact.

        Karen