msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Fw: Air Scenting Horse's

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Fw: Air Scenting Horse's
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:53:53 -0700

Chris, I know you’ve taken several of my classes and am almost positive you sat through one of mine on this topic several years ago. With your interest in ongoing learning and quality MSAR, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear you went on to do substantial additional research. ;-)   I’ll be teaching this weekend at the BCHC Rendezvous, at the No CA Mounted SAREX in June, likely at the state SAREX in Sept,  and trying to rearrange my schedule so I am available to teach at SAR City in Oct.  Hope to see you at at least 1 conference this year! (My other teaching locations for 2010 are too far from your location in So CA to be viable.)

I’m not aware of anyone but Terry putting on classes to teach the rider and horse actual air scenting – doesn’t mean folks aren’t out there, just that I haven’t heard of any.  I’ve also met several SAR dog handlers who are also riders who are very excited about how dog and equine can complement each other. In some cases local SAR Dog instructors are partnering with local MSAR.

Jorene Downs

SAR & CERT

Mounted SAR

www.ceoates.com/msar

KJ6JCD

From: pennbo@verizon.net

I guess I should clarify. I am very familiar with the theory behind air-scenting horses- and I pay attention to my horses as they alert on things. However I was asked the question about a school for air-scenting horses from someone else and figured I would bring it here to see if anyone knew of one.

Thanks for all the responses!
Chris