msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR contacts in Florida

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR contacts in Florida
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:54:24 -0700

Off list, I have referred Brenda Jewell in St Johns County to two groups
in Clay County and one in adjacent Bradford County. I have also exchanged
e-mails and spoken by phone with many other people in Florida. Most have
never heard of MSAR-Riders. Everyone, please share more information about
yourselves and others you know of. It has been my experience that open
sharing of information helps all parties, not just the "other guy". And
when any team is keep in the dark and consequently makes mistakes due to
ignorance, that reflects badly on all teams. There is plenty of work for
all, and SAR works best when everyone works together.

Here is some very important information for you to share. Like many US
states, Florida is in the process of developing a statewide SAR resource
directory, similar to what I have described in New Mexico. The Florida
SAR resource directory is maintained by the Florida SAR Coordinator.

Per Florida statute, county sheriffs have responsibility for SAR. The
resource directory will be used to enable each county sheriff to ask for
and promptly receive qualified SAR resources obtainable from outside the
county.

The Florida state SAR Coordinator currently is:

Capt. Todd Livingston
Task Force Leader
FLTF -3 Urban Search & Rescue
St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue
400 Dr. M.L.King Street South
St. Petersburg, Fl. 33701
727-709-5816
E-mail: "Michael Livingston" <Michael.Livingston@stpete.org>

Captain Livingston wishes to contact all SAR resources in Florida and
adjacent states that may respond into Florida, regardless of status or
standing or level of organization. Individuals in search of a SAR
team to join also may contact him for referral to teams in their area.

All mounted groups (SAR, posse, patrol, saddle club) that wish to be
recognized as mounted SAR resources outside their local area, please
contact Captain Livingston.