msar-riders - [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Finkle" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: <jhasse@comcast.net>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Request for Help--Brandon Swanson Search
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:02:17 -0500

Jeff - I am a member of MSAR-Riders e-list and is where I read your post for
help.

I am an emergency manager, a MSAR Team Commander, a (retired) FBI
trained-career (paid) law enforcement CSI investigator and have been active
with responding to search incidents for lost and missing people for over 30
years. I have spent some time in Southern MN and have traveled through the
Marshall area. I have some knowledge of farming practices and land
characteristics of that region. Since that area is the tip of the great
prairie there are many old homestead ruins scattered about, with every one
of them having an old water well site. I did not see "fell into a hand dug
well" as one of the possible search scenarios.

After reading your post a few things came to mind.

1- Based upon the time spent walking by the subject I would estimate your
search highest POD search areas are at the 2 to 2 1/2 mile circumference
from where the car was located. This is based the subject's impairment,
going 1 mile within 20 minutes (walking 47 minutes). Continuous cell phone
conversation for those 47 minutes is a good indication that foul play is not
involved. Brandon did not seem to be acting like a healthy 19 year on that
night.

2- Highlight a search zone NORTH of Rt. 68 and identify every
gravel/dirt/tractor road within it. I am guessing that has been done, but
if it has not been done, you should have veins of high POD areas.

3- The last words from Brandon and the sudden end to his cell phone
transmitting indicate one likely location of the remains; an old hand dug
well site. Old wooden well covers can produce a sound similar in nature as
what Brandon's father described. Once below ground, a cell phone does not
have a signal with the tower and immediately stops. Because of the sound
that was described by the father, I would rule out (falling into) bodies of
water.

4- Using the terms fences and "water" reminded me that folks in that region
often use the word "water" to describe a large body of water, such as the
lake on Lyon Yellow Medicine Rd. Personally, if I was planning this
recovery search the 1/4 mile zone surrounding the south & western corners of
that lake, that area looks prime for locating old homestead sites too.

5- With the large number of search personnel assigned to the area, it
strengthens the theory of an old well shift mishap. I know that many old
homesteads in that region are not even marked on topo maps, so finding such
wells may take some time, with many never being recorded anywhere.

6- In that region many farmers have already planted their crop by May 14th,
so I would forgo looking in fields again. With the farm machinery in that
area having the ability to clear 28 to 32 rows at a time; fields are fairly
clear by the end of April. Focus on fence lines, brush patches and wooded
areas next to dirt/gravel roads. After reviewing a Google Earth map of the
area, 80% of that area could be ruled at as having low POD.

7- Since a heat source (such as fresh spread manure) could produce the
appearance of water at a distance. A search plan should also include
identifying every possible abandoned homestead site within a 1/2 mile off
every dirt road. Keep in mind that many homesteads built prior to the 1940's
were located within 50 feet of a roadway. Those roadways of yesteryear may
be nothing more than an ATV trail today.

8- There is a great deal of open farm land without fences, so that is a plus
with your search plan; mark those areas and hard surface roads out of the
equation.
9- This should provide some good high probability POD locations. Some teams
may need to be deployed just to look for such locations, which may now look
much like a large briar patch.

10- Search each abandoned homestead site carefully for an old hand dug well
site. Many cadaver dogs can detect the scent of human remains for over 10
years from such a location. Old well sites are difficult to locate unless
you are right on top of them, so warn your search teams and dogs teams of
that danger.

11. Battery operated (tethered) underwater cameras work well in hand dug
wells. Most of the old water wells in that region rarely exceed 25 feet in
depth. Shinning a light into a well (with water) simply does not work, the
light source needs to be at the bottom of the water.

I hope my thoughts help.

Regards,

Ms. Tomi` Finkle, CEM, KB3MKI

Chief