msar-riders - [MSAR] Old REACT! Those were the days!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Old REACT! Those were the days!
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

RESPONDING TO:
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dana Mc <k9preydrive@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Dogs, Horses....rats in SAR :)
To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Never said it DIDN'T exist. :) Of course they do. But without the right
coordiantion and understanding they don't go together as I mentioned.

It's  like sayin sugar, vanilla, chocolate, flour, water, salt
exist...doesn't mean they are put together all the time and in the
right mixture to make Mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies!

And being that I trained in CA with what was considered a backwoods
county there, and then moved to Southern IL where SAR understanding is
TRULY 20 years behind, I can tell you that many of you and your
discussions, will never see light in this part of the world...not for
at least 10 or 20 years. Local ESDAs still send out fire, spontanteous
vols, cops, local boys with dogs... and the coordination is left to the
wind.

Things get done. Don't get me wrong. But they are not what you see in
more prepared and ready SAR environments. It is changing. But very
slowly.

The scenario I proposed sounds like a dream comparitively and our team
here strives to work towards that goal of cooperation. But it takes
more than one team to do it. And this state's head EMA (IEMA) is not
focusing on SAR at all. In fact they cut it out of their organization
in 2001. Left it to individual counties to care for. And the decline
began.

I love listening in on groups such as this. I glean pearls of wisdom all the time. And I appreciate all of your enthusiasm that you have for what you do. I just try to take away a few things now and then that will help 1) our team and 2) SAR in this region. Just wish our state would take as much interest.

Good luck to you all, and if you lived in such a blessed area such as Irv, or those of you in CA and other similar places, count your stars! :) Or move here and help us out! lol

Dana
---->>>

Dana, Illinois is Illinois.  Because the state is broke, money for many things are less than a string!

Gads I can remember back in the 70's the local king of the hills would have CB base stations.  These were run by the "prominant" parents in the neigbs.  The kids got involved and we all had CB's in our cars.  We chatted with the local, county or state cops, got to know them, we learned to "foxhunt" by CB signal to locate our friends or base stations by a pegged signal.  I remember carrying a CB portable on horseback back then.  The truckers on the highway got a good laugh at the equine with ears, but while we had fun, we also got serious when it cam to trying to help someone.

Now its cell phones and other kinds of portables, GPS, Laptops etc and if your a spontaneous volunteer, you are out of your own pocket.

I remember my first search.  A high profile case, and only 8 horses from the entire state came to the call.  I was shocked no more were available.  Half were from one fire department the rest were from various parts of the state.  One gal road bareback, it was what we had and they were darned lucky to have us. We had a job and we did what they required as inexperienced or experienced as we were.

I have been on this list for what, going on or  just past ten years.  I commend Una especially for her efforts in compiling this data here.  It has come a very long way from when she invited me on those many years.  She has brought together a great group here full of a wealth of information for everyone to use.  The regulars here keep this site a worthy venture.  We may all not always agree, but the discussions have been eye opening and informative.  It is great now to also see participants joining on that are from other parts of the world!

GREAT JOB UNA!  AND GREAT JOB ALL!
        Karen

  • [MSAR] Old REACT! Those were the days!, Karen Nesbitt, 08/03/2009