msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] First Aid Gear-splints, etc.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Andrew Hennell <ahennell@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] First Aid Gear-splints, etc.
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:41:32 +1000

SAM Splints have an aluminum core surrounded by dense foam - not a problem in high temperatures (I've used them in 40c/100f days with no discomfort) and also near-freezing. http://www.sammedical.com/sam_splint.html

We're getting closer to setting up our msar, but our SOPs are to carry a small personal FA kit, compass, map, gps, radio, phone, notebook/pencil, knife/multitool, hand flare (for helio ops) and at least 1l of water on the person. Looking at a vest with inbuilt camel-pak for this, the theory is if the rider comes apart from their horse they'll have enough on them for self-preservation until they're recovered. The rest of any gear will be on the horse.