msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hasty Team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: QUINCYDEW@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hasty Team
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:46:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/2009 10:22:45 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, msar-riders-request@lists.ibiblio.org writes:
  Having done endurance, depending on the trail your average speeds can run up to 7 mph and maybe more.  Familiarity of the trail has a great deal to do with it and of course the element of competition.  As there is no competition on a hasty team, then I guess my question would be, is the speed typically about 5mph or  is the pace quicker?  What is the speed even at a gallop/canter or any gait used if it is  a breed other than a trotter?  What difference would it make to the team if a person is ridig at a gallop or a gait or a trot if the speed was maintained?  Is that also a distraction to the other riders?

        Just wanting input here!  Thank!

        Karen
My mare takes care of the trail, I don't micromanage her, and I can sit her smooth trot for hours if I had too. Many people have brought up good points, I guess what I was thinking of is getting somewhere fast, not so much looking for clues. Putting up repeaters, moving closer the search area, or quickly searching when you know there is a high probability the person is still on an actual trail. In our area with heavy underbrush, the likelyhood of someone moving off the trail accidentally is very low. There is just no where else to walk. At this particular site we were at most lost subjects are going to be on the miles of trails which is where we can come in handy. I as the lead person am going to see any "obvious" clues in front of me (garbage, clothing, dropped items), because I trust my horse to watch out for other things. And my horse had been worked with a lot to "alert" on anything that doesn't belong. I'm not sure what the speed of my canter is, but I think that changes immensly with each horse. I will be curious to know and will ask the other riders if they would have been able to look for clues, or if they were constantly making sure they were aware of rapid and numerous changes in gait and terrain.

Ann

  • Re: [MSAR] Hasty Team, QUINCYDEW, 06/16/2009