msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hasty Teams 5mph? And at what gait, etc?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hasty Teams 5mph? And at what gait, etc?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:19:43 -0400

Karen,

Generally the speeds traveled during a Hasty Search for MSAR responders is within 2 to 5 mph (depending on the breed and size of equine.  Una, Irv, Jorene and I  wrote some detailed information over the weekend about hasty searches that go into more detail.   Faster speeds are great (and are needed) if you a drag rider at an endurance event, but for MSAR responders they must search for clues, which requires searching at slower speeds.  According to NASAR: A standard planning speed for a lost person is two miles per hour.

Regards,

T'mi

Karen Nesbitt wrote:

Just curious, is 5MPH the recommended speed or is a hasty team required to move on out faster if that is possible?  How is the speed determined by the leader?  The leader would seemingly be scouting more the terrain for the riders to follow, thus the calling out of speed and turf.  While I can see no distarctions to the leader as he/she negotiates the terrain and such calling back to the riders following, I can see the following riders a tad beign distracted in the change of pace or turf call as it happens.  Their anticipation of the call would take some attention away to their searching.

Having done endurance, depending on the trail your average speeds can run up to 7 mph and maybe more.  Familiarity of the trail has a great deal to do with it and of course the element of competition.  As there is no competition on a hasty team, then I guess my question would be, is the speed typically about 5mph or  is the pace quicker?  What is the speed even at a gallop/canter or any gait used if it is  a breed other than a trotter?  What difference would it make to the team if a person is ridig at a gallop or a gait or a trot if the speed was maintained?  Is that also a distraction to the other riders?

Just wanting input here!  Thank!

Karen