msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] ATVS....

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] ATVS....
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:47:54 -0400

I am retired law enforcement officer with over 25 years of service and I do not of a single LOE that knows the motor vehicle. SMV and ORV laws of every state. My best advise is for folks to learn about ORV laws is to check what laws would apply in your state and local region.
However, the answer to most of your questions can be found at <http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html>
In short motor vehicles must meet Federal regulations designed for highway speeds; whereas ORV's, (ATV's, RTV's and golf carts) are primarily designed for use on private property and off road use (Some states do have ORV trails designed for recreational use). Markings on government owned ORV's are also governed by local or state laws and vary from state to state. For those MSAR folks wanting more information on these topic is to look for an ATV/ORV SAR chat group and speak with them.

I hope this helps

T'mi
www.trotsar.org

Karen Nesbitt wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up..You can include RTVS and golf carts in this catagory too of being a destructive useless vehicle. While a golf cart is not as noisy, they certainly are destructive.
Perhaps someone here form LE can best explain the normal legalities of these vehicles state by state so that EVERONE can be informed. Perhaps someone can qoute the DOT regulations state by state of these vehicles and explain WHY they are not legal and where they would be not legal if used normally. That sure would help gettting a GOOD explaination and one that was from an authuratative source. And after all, if poeple do not know the legalities of them used at home, then what business do themn have on any search?
Perhaps too, include the safety gear and requirements for people of different ages and each of the ORV vehicles etc. includuding such laws governing passengers, seatbelts, lights, license, and or title.
And while we are on the subject, lets talk use of SMV's for these vehicles....
Between the RTVs and the ATVS and the golfcarts using SMVs.. since when is any of them a farm implement warranting an SMV tag, or since when are they street legal especially on a highway?? As for an emergency search vehicle....isnt the vehicle supposed to be appropriately marked by the LE or FD it comes from? No private vehicle would then be appropriate would it? And if it is appropriate, under what instance and why.
And perhaps someone can also explain why an SMV would not be appropriate to any of these vehicles? None of them are FARM implements and none of them would be appropriate to have an SMV according to the regulations about SMV's but then I have seen people use an SMV to mark driveways and mailboxes and put them on gates and well, guess it dont matter to them that it is illegal. I have seen people use them on horsetrailers too and pardon me, but that too is not a legal use of them. Just thoughts here and from what I know, could be a costly fine if LE did its job. (.....)
.
Thanks
Karen