msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Helen Cunningham <stormyandme@gmail.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Starting a MSAR team
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:42:12 -0500

Derek, would you send me your personal email address?
Thanks,
Helen

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Derek (alternate) <schmidtd@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hello fellow SAR searchers!

I am currently the Director of Training for a GSAR team here in
Saskatchewan, Canada, and have been tasked with trying to expand our
services to include an Equine component.  Currently we have several people
interested in joining our team, and are interested in bringing their horses
too.  As such, I have been trying to find some information on basic
standards, training levels/idea/plans and otherwise trying to get as much
prepared for them as possible.

Our 'plan' so far is to try to get the people trained first as GSAR members,
and then work some up to Team Leaders before integrating the horses into it.
The idea behind this is to try to give the members a solid base and build
the relationships with our Srch Mgr's before we bring in the new tool.

I am wondering if anyone in this group has had a similar development, and if
there are any suggestions.  MSAR is a relatively unused thing here in
Saskatchewan, so what ever I come up with is already being eyed as a way for
our neighbouring chapters to model after.

Derek Schmidt
Director of Training
Search and Rescue Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada