msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Valley Forge

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Valley Forge
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 07:32:21 -0400

In our response area Valley Forge is the only restricted area.
We handle it by ignoring it for the most part. You don't clean trailers out
in the park, even where dumpsters are provided, and since there is no
overnight facility in the park we try not to feed from our supplies on the
ground in the park. For most recreational day users it is unenforceable
because the restriction is neither published or posted. It is added to all
special use permits as a condition to be accepted by sponsors of horse
activities covered by the permit-- paper chases, competitive rides, etc.
No all out racing is permitted either. Park management is pretty hard to
deal with ordinarily -- they included a clause in the last permit that the
portapots hat to be delivered at 8 AM on a Sunday of Labor Day Weekend and
removed by 8 PM the same day for a Sunday ride and seek event. Their
preferred vendor (anybody else would have to file qualification paperwork)
didn't work that day so we negotiated a Friday delivery and a Tuesday pickup
with the units padlocked except for the ride period. The staging area for
the ride was a grass field.

Irv Lichtenstein