msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <laguyon2@yahoo.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR horse - barefoot vs. being shod
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:03:24 -0500

We had a string of circular wind storms and a tornado go through an area
that never been hit before-- mostly large frame houses, trees, wires. The
locals secured the area at the township boundaries in some cases due to
debris. Before even starting to look they also started accounting for
owners and workers. Due to the time of day they were able to clear large
areas quickly without even entering. The dogs got called out about 2 hours
after the area was secured to search one or two specific properties where
the occupants were unaccounted for. These were FEMA collapse dogs with
booties. The next operation was to mechanically sweep the streets clear of
debris so vehicles could get in without flat tires. We never took the horses
in because of the wood splinters, pieces of siding, wiring, nail plates, and
general junk in the area. I recall there were 2 fatalities in one house,
which took about 12 hours to clear, and the all the other injuries were to
responders. Disaster work in debris fields is not good for the horses or
the responders. Tires are cheaper.