msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Important: institutional memory

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Doug Reynaud <dreynaud@openspaceauthority.org>
  • To: Kerry Savee <kdsavee@att.net>, Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Important: institutional memory
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:00:53 -0800

Thanks Kerry for the information -Doug

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Kerry Savee <kdsavee@att.net> wrote:
Hello All,

I am a member of the Kern County Sheriff's Dept. Mounted Search and Rescue
Unit in Kern County, California. We are a volunteer organization within the
Sheriff's Dept. and our mounts are all member owned. Insurance is covered by
the Sheriff's Dept. on call-outs and special events, plus we have tax exempt
status with the Internal Revenue Service so we may take tax deductible
donations to help fund our needs.

Doug, some police agencies with mounted units in California use rescue
horses or mustangs from the BLM or even lease the horses from the members
for $1.00 per year. There are many innovative ways for an agency to utilize
horses without incurring huge expense.  The most common, however, is for the
member to provide the horse and pay for the upkeep which is mitigated
somewhat at taxtime.

On a side note, regarding internet information, many MSAR units are using a
MySpace page in lieu of a website to get their information out. Ours is:

http://www.myspace.com/kernmountedrescue.

Best regards to all,
Kerry Savee