msar-riders - [MSAR] What is your Equine First Aid kit?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thor Burfine" <thor@inspectra.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] What is your Equine First Aid kit?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:41:15 -0600

I keep the following is in mine

1 tube of butte paste
1 small fiberglass patch kit from auto parts store
Used for emergency hoof wall repair in the field
till I can get to trailer and vet

1 pack of 20 sutchers non sterile
1 bottle alcohol to sterilize
1 bottle betadine
Small tin bag balm
Small container wonderdust
3 rolls vet wrap
Gauze pads
3 foot surgical tubing
2 "farriers mix" sedative
1 hypo with 20cc penicillin
1 hypo with 10cc Vitamin B-12 complex
2 hemostats
1 brillo pad - hoof wall cleaner
1 soft bristle tooth brush - wound cleaner

All in a "iced lunch kit" bag I keep in fridge until I go

Back in the truck I keep an ice chest (no ice) with 4 liters of saline iv
In case the horse gets dehydrated on me

Now, I am no vet but I have had so sew my own horses up in the field in the
past.
If the wound is small enough to put a few stitches in then I will do it
And keep searching if its not to bad. I did have one that took 30 stitches
before
I could get to the trailer (3 hour walk out) and then it was a strait trip
to a vet
who just added a few and made it look better along with a rump chewing for
doing it myself
And not just bring the horse in. He was clueless where it happened.

Thor Burfine
Texas Equusearch
Equine Team Leader
ATV Team Leader