msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] mapping software

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] mapping software
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:53:48 -0400

The Emergency Response Committee of GITA (www.gita.org) is working on this.  I have seen presentations by ESRI, whose client software (ArcView) is free and will subsidize some purchases by non-profits through an in-house grant program, and Pictometry, a company that takes oblique digital aerial photos and can provide the service results either through a county that bought the service or has a Beta web based version for about $80/month for 5 users, 1 at a time.

Our county uses both ESRI and Pictometry (there is a bridge software package that allows you to combine them) with the data on an external drive of 600 Gig. Pictures are taken in the fall about every two years.

As to layering and marking pictures Corel used to have a package that allowed you to use the picture as a map (base layer) and then add layers on top, but it was not automatic input, you had to key in the waypoints.   As this package was an art production package originally I would expect that similar photo markup software exists in the graphic arts world and is probably cheaper and easier to run than Photoshop.

Irv Lichtenstein