msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Will scenting cause a horse to be more jittery... And what stinks...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Laurie" <lhanahan@mindspring.com>
  • To: <spanishequines@yahoo.com>, "'MSAR'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Will scenting cause a horse to be more jittery... And what stinks...
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:52:23 -0400

Karen –

Exactly what the kind of info I was looking for – than you for putting so much thought and effort into your response!

I’ve owned my Mtn Pleasure mare (gaited) since she was 2, she is now 7 and besides the lady who started her, I’m the only one who has ever been on her.  We did extensive natural horsemanship training, obstacle courses, parades wearing x-mas bells, clinics, traveled halfway across the country, judged pleasure rides, etc. She rides in a rope halter with ease, hasn’t had a bit since she was 3.  Just doesn’t need it.  Mia has fantastic sensibility, when startled has always spooked in place, been curious about what spooked her, and a boss mare in the pasture.  We’ve had deer, rabbits, fox and wild turkey pop out in front of us and we continue on down the trail without missing a step.  She turns approaching dogs and cattle with ease.  People with green horses love to ride w/us because she is so calm and she will teach their horse manners without kicking them.  One of our classes was a “bombproofing” clinic, we dealt with flares, smoke machines, starter pistols, walked through bubble wrap, over a mattress and other common obstacles such as flags, pool noodles, and such.  She handled all that with calmness and curiosity.

Mia’s reaction to the bear was totally unexpected and I made it 100% worse because I was totally unprepared when it happened.  I managed to stay on for quite a while but could not regain myself and when she turned I continued straight.  J  If I had not been so relaxed when we were standing around eating grass and had been prepared to react immediately when she started, the outcome would have been totally different.  She has been a little more jittery than normal since then which has un-nerved me.  We’ve been riding w/known horses and on mainly known trails to help her (and me) regain our confidence and it is working.  We are settling down again.

I have to say I was pleased with her reaction to the second bear last week.  We watched the bear run up over the ridge, she remained responsive and willing to continue down the trail, which was very encouraging.

Thanks again for all the info – I look forward to working with it both at home and eventually out on trails.  And the bear bell should arrive any day now – don’t know if it works but figured it can’t hurt (except maybe our ears).  ;-)

Laurie Hanahan

TROTSAR